A BRIEF HISTORY
The Treagust family had farmed on the marshes around Thorney for many years, selling their produce from door to door, locally, finally setting up a small shop at Hermitage. In 1924 Harry Hurst Treagust bought the shop at 17 High Street, Emsworth. He lived and traded there with his wife Anneta and their seven children. In 1929 this shop passed to Harry Clifford, their eldest son, who with his wife Bertha, worked hard to establish the business as a good quality family butcher’s shop.
Harry’s son Michael Clifford began working in the shop in 1950, aged 15, and continued until his retirement.
Michael with his wife Daisy grew the business, offering a “freezer order” service, later winning the first award for the “Treagust’s Old English Pork Sausage.”
Richard Harry Treagust, their only son, trained to be a Master Butcher. Richard and his wife Sue expanded the sausage trade before retiring in 2019.
Each generation has put their mark on the business, and Benjamin Harry, Richard’s son, is no exception. Over the past decade, Benjamin has broadened the sausage range, creating Harry’s gluten free range using single source, free range pork and adding his own blends of flavours to meet the taste of the 21st century palate.
The Harry’s range, which includes many sausage meat-based products, has won many awards and accolades for both the sausages and the Harry’s sausage meat products.